Tom's always coming up with crazy things for us to do as regards to our living arrangements to save money or earn money, some of his ideas include converting our basement into a separate apartment to rent out, or moving into an apartment and renting out our whole house, or selling out house and buying a much smaller, fixer upper...
Well now we've come up with another idea together, and I actually don't think it's too crazy.. or rather, it may be crazy.. but it just might be the lunatic idea we're looking for.. (anyone get the song reference there?? lol). So what, you wonder, is this new crazy plan? We are thinking of selling our house and buying a duplex. We'd get one with at least 3bd 2bth in both units, and live in one side. We've talked to a realtor, looked at quite a few online, and picked out 4-5 we'd like to go see.
From what we can tell, it looks like the mortgage payments will be about the same as we pay now, and the rent from the one unit should be enough to almost cover that monthly mortgage payment, and Tom thinks if we have steady renters for 3 years we can afford to move out and purchase a home of our own again, and then being able to rent out both sides of the duplex.
I've been doing some research online, and asking around for experiences, and am excited about this possible prospect. We are hoping to go see some of them in person in the next week, so I may have more to report soon. Who knows, this may come to nothing, but it's always fun to have a project. :)
Friday, February 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
You may be right, this may be crazy, for all you know I may be wrong and you may be right. By William Joel :)
Hope your camera sitch is doing better! Love ya
I think it's a fabulous idea! RJ and I almost did this for our first house. Obviously we went another direction, but I still think it would have be so wise to do that. I would be picky about who you choose as renters. Having no renters is better than having bad renters. Seriously!
Now, now Danielle, let's give credit to Natalie! Other than that I think it's an awesome idea! Especially if it puts you closer to me!!!!! ;) Yay closer!
Am I the only one who thinks this idea sucks!!?? I'm sorry, but how are Ainsley and Cora going to be BFF if they can't crawl to each other across the front yard?
So where will you move too!? Sounds like a cool idea though.
Post a Comment