Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Helpin' Myself

So, confession.. i love self-help books :) Maybe it's the psych major in me, or the insecurities that make me constantly want to change or something else entirely.. but I love reading books on how and why people do things and what we can do to change what we do. I read a lot, including the Mars and Venus books, Love Languages, the 7 Stages of Motherhood, Leadership and the Art of Self-Deception, etc.

However, I have a few that I go back to time and time again. When I'm unhappy with my body I read 'French Women Don't Get Fat', i love that she hates to exercise too, and that it's not about denying yourself instead it's about not wasting your calories on things you don't really care about, and eating well. I also love how she talks about buying fresh food at local markets and walking through Paris to burn calories. :)

When I'm feeling overwhelmed I like I 'The Procrastinator's Handbook'. It's a great kick in the butt for me. It has tons of great advice, and tips I use to keep from disappearing under piles of paper and odds and ends and long to do lists. :) *Handle each paper only once *make to do lists in spiral notebooks so you don't lose them, and date the top of each page and keep them so you can look back thru and to see when you did things, and appreciate all you've done. *set a kitchen timer and clean for a certain amount of time a day. Each time I read it I find something that I can do that I had forgotten or not paid attention to before that can make my life easier.

And when I find myself always angry at Tom and getting upset and resentful, I read 'The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands'. It's really great at helping me see reason and understand my wonderful husband better. Sometimes I can get all caught up in what i think should be, I can't see what really is. And it really shows the best way to get what you want! I was completely surprised the first time I tried what she suggests and saw how quickly Tom became so loving and helpful, and how happy I had become. One of the things that always sticks with me from this book is that 'the worst thing a wife can do to her husband is to never be happy.' That men really do just want to be your knight in shining armor. I think about that a lot when I find myself complaining all the time. Dr. Laura is sometimes a bit too much for me, and I do not advise more submissive minded women to read this book, but for my fellow strong women, i think this book gives a much needed insight to our husbands, (or even future husbands for my fabulous single ladies out there) And if you want to be happy, and get what you need from your man, I totally recommend it. I have it on AudioBook if anyone wants to borrow it. :)

I reread these books, or at least parts of them, over and over, whenever I feel the need for a little inspiration or just need a little help. So there's my confession, and I don't care if you think i'm a little silly. It works for me, and i love it. :)

4 comments:

JaNae Briggs said...

Dani I really like that book from Dr. Lora in fact me and Matt listend to it together. I think she has alot of good points. I also think that some women that think she is to hard on women just need to swollow there pride and step back and take her adive it could help there marriage. Even though sometimes it is way easier said then done.

stewart.shana.ella said...

I also like the book by Dr. Lora. I think that she can be mean but they deserve it most of the time. Also, I tagged you so go read my blog for directions.

Jen Herem said...

I love the 'self-help' section! Though I buy the book and read about a chapter then stop.. it's hard to get into a book like that! ha!

Rusti said...

That's just about all I read! I've never read Dr. Laura's book, even though it's been highly recommended a few times. I too think she can be too much at times. Maybe I'll have to borrow it from you sometime.